The only US physician board-certified in:
- Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism
- Obesity Medicine
Dr. Gerti Tashko earned his medical degree from the University of Maryland School of Medicine. He pursued a research fellowship in endocrinology, diabetes, and metabolism at Penn State University, where he also underwent training in internal medicine. Dr. Tashko holds certifications in endocrinology, diabetes, and metabolism from the American Board of Internal Medicine, in clinical hypertension from the American Society of Hypertension, in obesity medicine from the American Board of Obesity Medicine, and in clinical lipidology from the American Board of Clinical Lipidology.
A member of various professional organizations, including the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists (AACE), the National Lipid Association (NLA), and the American Diabetes Association (ADA), Dr. Tashko has actively contributed to many publications over the past two decades. Additionally, he has participated in research projects at esteemed institutions such as the National Institutes of Health, Walter Reed Army Medical Center, and the University of Maryland in Baltimore.
On a personal note…
I live in Rockville, MD with my wife, Cortney, and two young sons, Arben and Adrian. In addition to spending precious time with my family, I greatly enjoy fitness, football, J.S. Bach music, history, and reviewing recent medical research and literature. I frequently post new clinical findings online here.
- Endocrine Fellowship, Research Focused — Penn State Medical Center, 2011
- Internal Medicine Internship and Residency — Penn State Medical Center, 2008
- Doctor of Medicine — University of Maryland School of Medicine, 2004
- Bachelor of Science, Summa Cum Laude, GPA 4.0 — University of Maryland College Park, 2000
- American Invitational Math Examination Award, 1994
- ABIM certified in Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Metabolism — American Board of Internal Medicine since 2011
- ASH certified in Clinical Hypertension — American Society of Hypertension since 2016
- ABCL certified in Clinical Lipidology — American Board of Clinical Lipidology since 2018
- ABOM certified in Obesity Medicine — American Board of Obesity Medicine since 2020
- Author and co-author of numerous medical articles, 1998-2021
- Involved in research projects at National Institutes of Health (NIH), Walter Reed Army Medical Center, University of Maryland Baltimore, and Penn State Hershey Medical Center, 1994–2011
I highly recommend Dr. Tashko. He attentively listens, partners with his patients to find individualized solutions, and never makes you feel rushed. He is extremely knowledgeable, while also staying current with changing medical research and recommendations. In addition, he takes holistic view to health, ensuring the best possible care. He also forms a personal relationship with his patients and is truly invested. When you see Dr. Tashko, you can count on being in the best possible hands.Heather Paoli
I initially visited Dr. Tashko after being less than satisfied with my former endocrinologist. I researched area endocrinologists and Dr. Tashko was highly rated with lots of positive testimonials. I quickly realized the added advantage that Dr. Tashko specializes in lipidology—upon discussions of a family history of heart disease, Dr. Tashko addressed my high cholesterol and other concerning markers. After changes to my diet, increased cardiovascular exercise and intensity as well as the addition of cholesterol-lowering medications, my risk factors have been significantly reduced. I am very grateful to Dr. Tashko for his professional, caring, and thorough demeanor, his wealth of knowledge and his proactive approach to ensure optimal outcomes. He always took the time to address every one of my questions. D concerns. He is in a class by himself.Lawren Selby
Incredible Endocrinologist in the DC Metro Area!!! Absolutely correct diagnosis and treatment was provided to me. Dr. Tashko is extremely intelligent, empathetic, kind, confident, and up to date in his field. Excellent service by Dr. Gerti Tashko, highly recommend! Best service throughout many years now.Aastha Bhatia